Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The joys of not taking oneself seriously...

So...what an amazing evening I've had.  I went rollerskating for the first time in a very long time!!  The last time I went rollerskating, I was roughly 9 yrs old...well, I'm now nearly 21! At first I was slightly nervous I had forgotten how to stand upright and as soon as I put skates on I'd fall flat on my bum...but I'm glad to say I survived the evening with no stumbles!! Yay for me!! 

And I even showed off my coordinated self by dancing on skates!!!  I danced to both the "Nutbush" and "Time Warp".

They played a game too, we all had to skate around and when the music stopped, you had to get to one of the corners of the rink which were titled the suits of a deck of cards (Diamonds, hearts, clubs & Spades) and then they'd pick a playing card and whoever was in that corner stayed in while everyone else was eliminated...well, I won!!! I got a bag of chips for my efforts!! :)

Tonight was 70's/80's night and so they played a heap of good older music; my personal favourites were "Tainted Love" - Soft Cell; "My Sharona" (forgive me, not sure who wrote that but it's a great song!); "YMCA" - The Village People; and of course, "The Time Warp" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show!  The near the end they played some newer music...my absolute favourite of the newer stuff was Pink's "So What".

It was good to let my hair down for the evening and thoroughly enjoy myself (a weird saying that; to let one's hair down...my hair was tied up!!).  But geez, Rollerskating is a great workout...by the end of the 2 hour session I was stuffed!! 

Got a rather funny (and sorta cute) comment on Twitter this evening, saying I'll be in the Roller Derby soon...No thanks! I'll leave that up to the professionals!!  It looks amazing, is great to watch but you ain't getting me in that rink!!

Has anyone else been rollerskating recently??  I'd love to hear how you went!!  And if you've just done something for no real reason besides to have fun and act slightly childish and let your hair down??...

As per usual, thanks for reading.  It means the world!!
Nat x

No comments:

Post a Comment