Thursday, June 23, 2011

The small things.

Over the past 3 years or so, I've come to learn it's the small things in life that often mean the most.  The small things are often the things most missed. 

Let me backtrack; let's journey back to June 27th, 2008.  How many people remember that day?  Well, I do.  I even remember it was a friday.  It was the day someone very close to me lost their life.  It was my best friend; Hamish.  He had just turned 20, and I was 6 months off being 18. 

From that day, I realised, it's the small things that are the ones I liked most of all, but, at the time, weren't thought of as something to be grateful for or something to show appreciation towards.  It's made me think, lots of "first's" are clearly remembered; for instance, the first time Hamish and I hung out as friends, or, the first time we shared a laugh (usually at either his or my expense).  But, it was never even suggested about the "last's".  Say, the last conversation we had ended in "See you tomorrow".  Would that have been different if we knew it was the last time we'd talk? Most probably!  If either of us knew what was to unfold that night; and that the meeting the very next day would never eventuate, appreciation of the small things would have probably been shown.  Or, even the appreciation of the friendship we had built over the years. 

The trouble with the small things is, that they often pass by rather quickly and often unnoticed.  It's not until later that one realises it's been and gone.  It takes time and patience and often a realisation to become aware how important the small things can be and that they should be not only noticed, but cherished. 

I remember getting that phone call on that friday night 3 years ago and after the initial shock, grief and utter misbelief; the next thing to flood my mind was 'Did he know what a great friend he was?'  Inside, I know of course he knew what an amazing friend he was, and, most probably thought the same of me; but my thought was about the small things that we never really acknowledged.

From then on, I've been more aware and thankful for the small things!!

RIP Hamish (May 21st 1988 - June 27th 2008)...I miss you...I love you...always!!! xxx

3 comments:

  1. Its definitely the small things that matter, my son turned 20 that particular day and every year before and since I remember the day he first took my hand to cross the road without me struggling to hold onto it. A small thing but the most wonderful. So sorry you had to lose your friend so young. I too have lost friends very young and I always wonder what they would have became in their lives. Far too young but he obviously had a large impact in that short time. Hugs Dx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendships ought to be cherised!As the small things in life should!
    Peter @thyroidplague

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the lovely comments!! :)
    Denise...what a memory you have of that day you didn't have to struggle to hold your sons hand. Reading that made me smile, it is most wonderful! But yes, my friend had such a HUGE impact on my life.

    ReplyDelete