Saturday, June 18, 2011

Two little words; One huge meaning. Or is it??

I was in a situation earlier today where things were said which I found incredibly hurtful. The other party (who I should point out was an uncle) was clearly not remorseful; there was sniggering happening across the table and, of course, facial expressions which weren't so 'friendly' or even apologetic.  But, even so, he said "I'm sorry".  Even when it was clear he wasn't sorry at all, he still said those two words.  I later found out; he apologised after being kicked under the table.

It got me thinking about the phrase "I'm sorry".  In my opinion, it's one of the most overused (and might I add, wrongly used and underappreciated) phrases in the english language!  Don't get me wrong, "I'm sorry" should most definitely be used, but, only when it's honest and the person feels sorry.  Not just as a peace offering. 

In today's situation, I appreciate the thought behind him being kicked under the table as to say "come on, play nice".  But, people shouldn't need to be prompted to say sorry!  If people need a prompt; in my opinion, they don't mean it!

It infuriates me when people apologise when all they're really doing is using hollow, unmeaningful words just because they can!  I don't quite know why it annoys me so much; maybe because I prefer things to be meaningful and well thought.  It just seems wrong to apologise because of a kick under the table or just because the words "I'm sorry" are in a persons vocabulary.  Apologies should be from the heart and meaningful. 

I didn't appreciate today's apology at all.  It was forced and fake; yet, I was expected to accept it and move on with the day as if I wasn't hurt at all...No thanks! I don't need (or want) anyones fake apology. 

I admit, I'm not perfect.  I've made mistakes, I've done things that I probably shouldn't have and I've most definitely had my fair share of arguments with people who I love.  I however, before I apologise to anyone I take time to calm down from the emotions of the argument and come to a point where I am truely apologetic for what I have done.  I then go say "I'm so sorry for *insert reason*"

Am I the only one who thinks like this??  Is "I'm sorry" really over-rated or am I thinking far too much into things??

2 comments:

  1. Yes totally with you. I don't think I'm sorry means anything unless you mean it. Why was your uncle so mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're completely right Annie, I'm sorry doesn't mean anything unless you really mean it. As for my uncle, no idea why he's mean. It's something I've just got used to over the years.

    ReplyDelete