Saturday, July 2, 2011

A woman's right to shop

As you read on; you're probably going to think I'm a bit of a princess; well, truth is...I am! I'm a massive girly-girl and a bit of a princess. Shoes, bags, nails and make up are all facets of me; but I'm much more in depth than that. There is more to me...I assure you!

I'm reminded of the Sex and the City episode 'A woman's right to shoes'. In this particular episode; Carrie is made to feel guilty for splurging on rather expensive shoes when they're "stolen" at a baby shower in which shoes had to be removed before entering the house. Shame is put on Carrie once it's made public that the shoes cost $485. It leads to a discussion about life choices and how Carries' lifestyle of expensive (and multiple) shoes may be considered extravagant as compared to that of her friend Kyra who is more family orientated and doesn't spend insanely large amounts of money on a single pair of shoes.

It begs the question; Does a woman really have a "right" to shop and do other women judge us by the shoes we wear; and the bag we carry?? Are we seen as 'shallow' or 'spoilt' ot 'irresponsible' if we choose to buy designer bags or rather expensive shoes??

Earlier today, I was in the midst of re-arranging my wardrobe so that I'd be able to fit my recent purchases (shoes and bags) in the wardrobe rather than having them neatly arranged in the corner on the floor. My sister (who doesn't seem to have the shopping gene) was shocked at the fact that I have so many bags. I rationalised my full wardrobe by saying I need different colours and styles for different occassions and different seaasons and of course, depending what I'm wearing. Then I realised...hang on, I don't need to explain myself!!

Just like Carrie was made to feel shame over her $485 shoes; I was made to feel some level of shame because I have multiple (actually, multiple is an understatement...I have many) handbags and even worse...they don't all easily fit in my wardrobe. It then went even more in-depth when it was noticed some (not all) of my bags are designer brands.  I have a couple of Guess bags, Prada, D&G...does this really bring it to a new level?? Designer labels are really just another brand.  Just like there's flashy packaged coffee and plain ol' coffee beans in a plain ol' packet.  To me, there's no difference between my purple Prada bag; and my red bag which is just a generic red bag from an everyday handbag store; they are both gorgeous and in the end, they do the same thing!

After this, I was wasting time on facebook and had a very interesting conversation with a female friend (who is lovely! - Hello if you're reading!) and something she said made me think. She gave me the instruction to put smaller bags inside bigger bags as to save space; then, said "advice from one who has never had a handbag - but it doesnt mean I can't observe objectively!". And, upon reading this, the first thing that popped into my mind was "How does she do it without bags?!?!?!" How would I carry all the essential items - phone, ipod, keys, book, make-up, hair brush...etc. I rely on my bags!! What would I do without them??? Could I get through 24 hours without a handbag...probably not!!

More questions then flooded my mind; Can one have too many handbags?? Do I have too many?? What do people think when they see 3 of my 7 shelves in my room are dedicated purely to handbags (and let me tell you it's a stretch to get them all in...if I touch the shelves in the wrong way they'll all come crashing down!!).  And probably most intriguing; Do people notice that each time they see me I'm carrying a different handbag??  They're all interesting thoughts!!!  Either way, my handbags and I are happy!!

Thanks for reading...it means the world!! xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment