Friday, July 22, 2011

What'd you say?...Thy-who??

Nearly 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with thyroid disease. This was the first I had heard of Thyroid. So, I thought, since up until now I was totally oblivious to this Thyroid gland that it would be no big deal and all would be good in no time. Well...how wrong I was!

Apparently; according to much research and of course, my personal experiences; this little butterfly shaped thyroid gland controls LOTS of things!!  It’s fair to say it has some level of impact on every bodily function from our memory and brain function (often called brain fog and is very awful!) right to dry, brittle, thin fingernails/toenails, hair and skin.  Including everything in between!
Cutting a long story short; my thyroid journey began with a “wait and watch approach”.  When this was no longer possible, we realised I would need surgery.  So, on 28/01/2010 I had just under 2/3 of my thyroid removed. For the past 18 months, it has been a rollercoaster journey of meds, doctors and blood tests to try and regulate my thyroid hormone levels.  This was made increasingly difficult by other issues I have going on and is very much a balancing act trying to keep everything happy without too many major movements too quickly...quick, major movements aren’t good...one, or more of the issues get grumpy and fight back!  I admit, my other issues have made the thyroid journey slightly more extended and harder than the average person; however, slowly, it seems to be getting slightly more stable as the days go by. There is still difficult days where the thyroid “takes control” and tells me it’s not happy or that it just wants to mess with me. But, all in all, there are slowly becoming more good days than bad!

This 18 month long (and not over) thyroid journey has been the most difficult thing I have faced so far in the 20 years I’ve walked on this Earth.  There’s been more tears than I wish to count, days I’ve just wanted to give up and more of an insight into the number of rude, uneducated doctors that exist than I wish on anyone!!  I’ve seen more doctors than I have fingers on both my hands and “fired” all of them...all except one!  There is such a major lack of knowledge about thyroid illness in both the medical profession and in the general public as a whole (but that’s a whole other blog post!).  Most of the doctors I have seen have either been stupid or rude (now, I must say I respect the medical profession and think they do an amazing job), but I believe the lack of understanding is the reason behind the way some doctors act towards certain thyroid situations.  Many times I was told “oh, you can’t have a thyroid problem, you’re not a middle-aged woman”. What a stereotypical thing to say; and just slightly silly!...well, I’m sorry, I'm no doctor, but, even I know no illness discriminates!!
But, I also believe, that along with the difficulties, tough experiences and tears; this thyroid journey has taught me alot about myself.  I’ve spent quite alot of time soul searching and thinking alot about the person I am and, at times, how the hell I keep going without too many tears!  This journey so far has had many setbacks (more than I wish to count), but, along the way, there has also been a few victories on my part.  I’ve had a few wins along the way too.  I imagine it’s going to continue going like this until I eventually take the final victory.  That will be the day I can say “I beat my thyroid disease”.  One day!  Hopefully one day soon!

I also made many realisations over the past 18 months and quite a few have focused on the possibility that I may be stronger than I thought.  Maybe I deserve more credit than I give myself.  Maybe I can do anything!!

This is my story.  My journey.  Although the illness may have the same name, everyone's thyroid journey is as unique as the individual themselves. 
Anyone reading with thyroid illness of any form...we can all beat this...we can all do anything! And one day, we’ll all celebrate the final victory – when we regain full control!!
Thanks for reading...it means the world! xx

4 comments:

  1. You will beat it! We all will! #teamthyroid

    ReplyDelete
  2. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger - right?! #Teamthyroid rocks. Never give up, never give in! You do great Natalie. Celebrate the good stuff and know that you will
    get past the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys...you're amazing!! All of teamthyroid is totally amazing!!
    Peter...We will beat this!!
    Lorraine...you're totally right; whatever doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!

    I didn't ever have the intention to bring thyroid into my blog, but now I'm glad I did. Got quite a few lovely emails, the responses I've got have shown me it was totally worth posting my thyroid journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the big day's arrived. Today is 18 months since that piece of thyroid and I parted ways. Can't say I'm sad to see it go either!

    But, I am sad to see my scar vanishing! That scar symbolises one heck of a journey! At first I hated it...but we soon became friends. I often say the scar was my "neck smiley" it was just the shape of a big smile and even on the darkest of days I'd look in the mirror and it would smile right back at me!!

    ReplyDelete